You Have Arrived


You're here, and I'm glad for it...even if you aren't. But I hope you soon will be.


I am a self-declared spastic Sophomore here at the University of Arizona. The basic idea behind this project is that college life is weird, wonderful, and sometimes downright awful. I started this blog because I know I'm not alone - that there are millions of people out there, spastic or not, who could use an encouraging word or humorous story now and then. If through my experiences, thoughts, and actions, I can be a conduit for joy, I'll gladly tell the world (or at least the blogosphere) of my spastic escapades.

Read on, brave patrons, and enjoy.


Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tripping on NyQuil

     Wow - haven't posted in a while. Blame it on a series of uninteresting events. I caught a nasty cold this week. Cough, sore throat, fever, face leaking all manner of fluids - the whole nine yards. You can just imagine what a sight I am to behold. Or maybe you'd rather not, I can't say I fault you.
     Over the course of this illness, I've done a good deal more tripping than is even the norm for me. Hard to believe, I know. I thought I'd share a couple of the good ones with you. Strangely enough, both of them coincided with the presence of one Chelsea Schlittenhart (yep, same first name - she's my evil twin). I honestly couldn't tell you what day of the week the first one occurred; I suppose that's what I get for going Rip Van Winkle for the past few days. Anyhoodles, onward we go.
     I had decided one night to head over to Chelsea's apartment for some steaming tea and a chat. I made it all the way across the complex, up the stairs, and to Chelsea's door with no trouble. It seems my feet are awfully shy about functioning properly around others; I never seem to trip when I'm alone. She pulled open the door and welcomed me inside. I don't think she was expecting me to make such a dramatic entrance. I stepped (or rather, fell) inside, leaving my right foot behind, caught on the small bump of the doorway's threshold. It's a good thing Chelsea was standing to the side, otherwise we may have gotten a bit cozier than either of us had intended. Perhaps her subconscious mind knows me well enough to keep a precautionary tripping distance of at least two feet.
     Thursday morning (I've got this one - Thursdays are usually memorable), Chelsea and I were walking to Animal Science. We had a half hour before class, so Chelsea asked if I wanted to hit Starbucks. I'd taken NyQuil the night before and was still in a bit of a stupor, so my response was something to the effect of: "I would KILL for Starbucks." I proceeded to stumble into the street toward the entrance without checking for cars. Luckily, I realized what I was doing before getting turned into road pizza. Chelsea's reaction: "You would kill for Starbucks, not be killed. Big difference." True, my evil twin, very true.
     Starbucks in hand, Chelsea and I continued our trek. At the next street crossing, my right Converse caught on some invisible crack in the sidewalk (there seem to be an awful lot of those here at the UA) and I shot forward, sloshing a good amount of my Pumpkin Spice latte (AKA Liquid Gold) on my jacket and hand. However, the burning desire (pun intended...sorry) to save the rest of my latte kept me from going all the way down. Now, if I can just develop as strong a drive for self-preservation...

2 comments: