You Have Arrived


You're here, and I'm glad for it...even if you aren't. But I hope you soon will be.


I am a self-declared spastic Sophomore here at the University of Arizona. The basic idea behind this project is that college life is weird, wonderful, and sometimes downright awful. I started this blog because I know I'm not alone - that there are millions of people out there, spastic or not, who could use an encouraging word or humorous story now and then. If through my experiences, thoughts, and actions, I can be a conduit for joy, I'll gladly tell the world (or at least the blogosphere) of my spastic escapades.

Read on, brave patrons, and enjoy.


Sunday, October 10, 2010

Drowning Fish

     I'm pretty convinced at this point that I was simply not destined to have a good weekend. I spent nearly the entirety of it stuck in front of the computer, up to my armpits in Chemistry homework, and two midterm exams on Monday to study for. I had just finished my lab report and was about to reward myself with a ten-minute TV break when I caught sight of Amanda's beta fish, Mr. Pina, in a terrible pickle. He had squeezed underneath three of the large rocks at the bottom of his bowl and was drowning. Yes, you heard me, drowning. What kind of world do we live in where fish drown?
     My first thought was "Crapcrapcrap" followed closely by "Oh my geez, Amanda's going to murder me in my sleep!" (Keep in mind, Amanda has gone back home to Phoenix for the weekend, putting me in charge of Mr. Pina. She specifically told me before leaving that she would kill me if he died because she'd never be able to find another yellow beta to match her bathroom decor. Craptastic, you say? I agree).
     I plunged my hand into the bowl and, with all the care I could muster in my panicked state, dug him out. I thought: "Don't freak out - as soon as he's free, he'll swim to the surface." Guess who didn't swim? By that time, I had resorted to cradling him in my hand at the top and imploring him not to die. He took a few puffs of sweet, sweet air and floated there for a bit whilst I left a frantic message on Amanda's phone explaining the situation (along with an "It's not my fault, I swear" thrown in).
     Mr. Pina survived and is currently glaring at me from behind the glass of his bowl. My guess is that he misses Amanda so much (or hates me with such a passion), that he decided to end it all. He even buried himself, to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment