You Have Arrived


You're here, and I'm glad for it...even if you aren't. But I hope you soon will be.


I am a self-declared spastic Sophomore here at the University of Arizona. The basic idea behind this project is that college life is weird, wonderful, and sometimes downright awful. I started this blog because I know I'm not alone - that there are millions of people out there, spastic or not, who could use an encouraging word or humorous story now and then. If through my experiences, thoughts, and actions, I can be a conduit for joy, I'll gladly tell the world (or at least the blogosphere) of my spastic escapades.

Read on, brave patrons, and enjoy.


Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tales of University from a Spastic Freshman

     So there I was at 7:45am, strolling down the sidewalk toward my first class of the day: General Chemistry. Caramel macchiato in hand, bag slung over one shoulder, and my hair (which I had worked exceptionally hard on that morning) swaying lightly in the breeze. It was official: I was a University student. A freshman, sure, but the only thing that would have betrayed me was my campus map, and I'd begun leaving that at my apartment two weeks ago. High school and all its not-so-glorious memories were far behind me. Or so I thought.
     My feet, which had served me faithfully for nearly the entire first month of classes, were headed for disaster. Picture a crack in the cement. One barely big enough to put a bump in an ant trail. Got it? Good. Well, my feet found that crack. The next few seconds were a blur of flailing limbs, flying curls, and espresso raining from the sky.
     As I sat among the throngs of my fellow chemistry students, wishing my skinned knees were not so painfully red against my barely-tanned legs, I realized something. No matter where I went, how far up the social ladder I found myself, or what kind of 'fresh start' I was looking for, tripping in front of the world would always be the story of my life. That realization may seem a little gloom and doom, but it came with a decision: If I'm going to trip, and the world is going to see, I may as well have some fun with it. And if the world has a little fun too, even better.
     So, world, have a laugh - I don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment